In 2022, the USDA was given the power by Congress to provide schools and meal program operators with the necessary flexibility to keep feeding children. Despite the pandemic being under control, issues such as increased food insecurity and supply chain disruptions persisted. To address this, the Keep Kids Fed Act, led by Chairwoman Debbie Stabenow and Ranking Member John Boozman, was extended for another year to offer support and flexibility for schools and meal providers facing food cost spikes.
When the Keep Kids Fed Act expires, the Tier II reimbursement rates for all Family Day Care Homes will be reinstated, and the additional 10 cents per meal or snack served in the CACFP will no longer be available. Some may question whether participating in the program is worthwhile if the reimbursement doesn’t cover the full cost of food expenses. However, many providers are realizing the potential of using the reimbursement to invest in their business and help it grow. Here are some compelling reasons to consider joining or staying in the Food Program.
Think of being on the Food Program as having a job. The program pays you to do some paperwork, but if you weren’t enrolled, you’d still have to plan menus, buy ingredients, cook meals, and serve them. So how much are you being paid per hour for the paperwork required by the Food Program?
For example, if you spend three hours per week on paperwork, that’s 156 hours per year. If you care for six children and receive the lower Tier II rate (which was $0.56 for breakfast, $1.78 for lunch, and $0.25 for a snack for each child every day in 2022 without the KKFA), this equates to $4,038 per year ($673 per child x 6). Your hourly rate would be $25.88 per hour ($4,038 divided by 156 hours).
What could you do with that $4,038? Reimbursement is one of the best ways to get money back for work you’re already doing. Whether you’re looking to upgrade your space or needing extra cash to make your overtime worth it, claiming reimbursements can make a significant difference. It’s also one of the highest returns you’ll get – earning $4,038 in claim reimbursement would require enrolling six new students. If you’re already serving meals and snacks, claiming reimbursement is an easy and quick way to increase revenue.
If you want to boost your hourly earnings, consider using software like KidKare for electronic recordkeeping. By doing that you could…
A sponsoring organization in Texas was using a paper-based process to collect meals counts and attendance. But by changing to an electronic meal count & attendance process in KidKare they were able to save their center directors 10 hours of work each month and reduce reporting errors by 30%.
KidKare eliminates the need for paperwork in the Food Program and offers software solutions that simplify claims processing and maximize reimbursements. Our software is trusted by 75,000 sponsors, owners, directors, sites, and providers. Using KidKare can save you hours on paperwork, leaving you with more time to focus on your program and your students.
Participating in the Food Program has other benefits beyond financial support. It provides access to training and technical assistance, which can help providers improve the quality of their meals and snacks. It also ensures that children and adults receive nutritious meals that meet dietary guidelines.
Attract new families:
Being a part of the Food Program can help providers attract more families to their programs. Many parents prioritize healthy meal options when choosing childcare or afterschool programs for their children. By participating in the CACFP, providers can advertise that they offer healthy meals and snacks that meet national nutrition standards.
Follow the instructions below to download and install Minute Menu CX. You can install Minute Menu CX on as
many computers you need. The same link provided in this article can also be used by centers to install their
version of the software. For system requirements, see System Requirements.
1. Click here to download Minute Menu CX.
2. Depending on your browser settings, the file downloads automatically, or you are prompted to save or run it.
3. The installation wizard opens. Click Next and follow the on-screen prompts to complete installation. We strongly recommend that you install Minute Menu CX in the default location and that you do not change any of the options during installation.
4. Once the installation process is complete, click Finish. Minute Menu CX opens automatically, and you are prompted for your password.
5. Enter your user name and password. You should have received this information from Minute Menu or (centers) from your food program sponsor’s main office.
6. Click Login.
To access Minute Menu CX in the future, double-click on your desktop. You are prompted for login information each time, unless you check the Remember Login and Password box when logging in.
To see which version of Minute Menu CX is installed on your machine:
1. Open Minute Menu CX.
2. Click the Help menu and select About Minute Menu CX. The About Minute Menu CX dialog box opens. The version number displays at the top.
To upgrade Minute Menu CX:
1. Open Minute Menu CX.
2. Click the Administration menu and select Upgrade Software. The installation wizard opens.
3. Follow the on-screen prompts to install the upgrade. Note that you must upgrade CX on each individual machine on which it is installed.
2. Click on “I need a new Password” in the bottom right as shown in the image below.
3. Enter your email address into the email field and then click on “Send Me”
4. This should send an email to the email address entered from KidKare Enrollment Portal with a link to reset your password. Click on the blue link
5. Enter your new password into the fields below and click “Go”
6. Now you can go back to the login page and login with your email as the username and your new password!
Just enter your email address below and we’ll set up a free 30 day trial just for you.
We believe in the application so much, that we know you’ll love it.